Welcome to our website !

Project Joie

Setting myself up for success by being accountable

Nilaga - Filipino Beef Soup

By 6:54 PM

One of my family's favorite dishes - the boys are super excited when this is on the menu. I use my trusted pressure cooker to soften the meat up real quick. You can stew the meat in a regular pot till the meat is tender. This is my version of the popular soup dish.

2 beef shank with the bone - about 5 pounds total. The bone and marrow adds a lot of flavor
1/2 medium onion
4 carrots - peeled and sliced into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cabbage
2 potatoes - peeled and sliced into 2 inch pieces
3 celery stalks - peeled and sliced into 2 inch pieces
handful of spinach
1 tsp black peppercorns
1 tbsp fish sauce

brown the meat in your pot, add onions and celery and peppercorns. Add enough water to cover the meat once the onions are translucent, add the fish sauce and turn the temperature up to high. If using a pressure cooker - follow the instructions and once it begins to whistle, turn down temperature to medium and keep it on for 1t minutes. If you're using a pot - bring the pot to a boil then turn down to medium and simmer until meat is tender.

After the meat is tender, add the cabbage, potatoes and carrots. Once the cabbage are translucent, add the spinach.

I made this dish tonight and I realized I was out of celery so there's no celery in there, I accidentally added green beans but that's ok too. I opted to use ground black pepper as my kids don't like to accidentally eat the peppercorns. I usually serve mine with fish sauce, lemon and spicy peppers on the side. Don't forget the rice!!


You Might Also Like

0 comments